Be Part of the Solution to End Littering!
We can’t fix the litter problem overnight, but we should all do our part to help end littering.
Litter on Tennessee roadways is a serious problem, and it needs serious solutions. It damages the environment, gets into our waterways, endangers our wildlife, is a detractor for our beautiful state and costs TDOT more than $23 million a year to clean up.
Here’s How You Can Help End Littering in Tennessee
Want to keep Tennessee beautiful? Follow these steps to keep our state safer and cleaner for everyone:
- Stop littering: Learn what constitutes trash and take steps to avoid intentional or unintentional littering.
- If you see litter, pick it up: There are over 88 million pieces of litter on Tennessee roadways at any given time. If you see some, pick it up – every little bit helps.
- Participate in a local cleanup: Joining local cleanups is a great way to get involved and makes a positive impact on our environment.
- Spread the message: Tell everyone you know. Sign up for our newsletter.
- Follow us on social media.
Want to get even more involved? Check out some ideas below.
FIND A CLEANUP IN YOUR AREA
Are you looking for a way to help? Find a public cleanup event near you using our cleanup event calendar and contact your local affiliate to find out how to join.
The Tennessee Department of Transportation’s Adopt-A-Highway groups help keep Tennessee beautiful. Since the program’s inception in 1989, our volunteers have collected more than 12 million pounds of litter from Tennessee’s roadsides. These valuable contributions are helping produce cleaner roadsides, reduce maintenance costs and boost litter prevention awareness in The Volunteer State.
The Tennessee Sponsor-A-Highway program is a new way for businesses and organizations to help keep Tennessee beautiful. In contrast to the Adopt-A-Highway program, the Sponsor-A-Highway program enables businesses to fund professional litter removal along some of Tennessee’s busiest roadways, including interstates. Under the Sponsor-A-Highway program, the Adopt-A-Highway Maintenance Corporation manages everything from selecting roadways to installing signs and conducting regular litter removal. Learn more about supporting your local community and getting recognized for contributing to a cleaner Tennessee.
Did you know that Tennessee has a litter hotline? If you see someone litter from their car, say something. Call the StopLitter™ hotline (1-877-8LITTER) (1-877-854-8837), and we’ll send that litterbug a care package.