TDOT’s Adopt-A-Highway program makes for the perfect business, group or family volunteer activity. Participating in the program gives you the opportunity to get outdoors, give back to your community and make a positive impact on the environment.
It’s a win, win, win!
WHAT WE ASK OF OUR GROUPS
We are on a mission to keep Tennessee roadways free from litter and other debris. To meet that goal, we ask groups to:
- Adopt two miles of roadway for at least one year.
- Conduct a total of four litter cleanups a year. One pickup per season is recommended, but groups can conduct cleanups more frequently if desired.
ADOPT-A-HIGHWAY GROUP PERKS
Reducing roadside litter comes with many great perks, including:
- TDOT will provide volunteers with all necessary supplies and safety materials (trash bags, trash grabbers, gloves, caution signs and class 2 safety vests).
- Your group name posted on a recognition panel installed below the official Adopt-A-Highway sign.
- Opportunity to be named Adopt-A-Highway group of the month and receive recognition for your cleanup efforts if your group collects the most garbage in a month. Your cleanup group’s photo could also be featured in your local newspaper.
- Pride in knowing you are doing your part to help keep Tennessee beautiful.
HOW TO ADOPT A HIGHWAY
Ready to commit to litter prevention and keep our roadways beautiful?
- Designate a Group Coordinator so TDOT can keep your group updated regularly.
- Complete an Application Form and register your group.
- Work with a District Coordinator to assign your adopted route.
- Follow the safety guidelines for litter pickups.
- Report your activity so TDOT can pick up the trash your group collected.
By participating in TDOT’s Adopt-A-Highway program, not only can you make a difference in your local community, but our efforts have a big impact on the environment. Let’s make a difference together!