You obviously care about the environment and want to help keep Tennessee beautiful. There are three easy steps to getting involved in the Nobody Trashes Tennessee Movement:
1. DON’T LITTER (OBVIOUSLY)
Planning ahead is key to preventing littering. Keep a bag for litter in your vehicle at all times so you can keep your trash under control – until you can throw it away in a trash container. Be sure to keep the bed of pickup trucks free of trash (since trash can end up flying out and littering our highways).
2. PICK UP TRASH WHEN YOU SEE IT
Help out when you see litter. Pick it up – but do it safely!
- Wear a high-visibility, class 2 safety vest at all times during clean up
- Park your vehicle well off the road
- For your protection, wear gloves
- Stay alert
- Do not pick up trash on bridges, in tunnels, on medians, overpasses or construction sites. TDOT will pick up trash from these areas.
- Leave items too large to fit in a trash bag
- Use caution when picking up glass, metal or anything sharp
- When in doubt, leave it out. If something seems unsafe, leave it and alert TDOT.
- Items with rainwater can be dumped, but if you think something has urine in it, please don’t pick it up.
- If you find anything harmful, explosive, corrosive, poisonous or toxic, leave it and notify TDOT.
- Do not touch anything that looks like it’s methamphetamine lab waste. They can look like carelessly dumped trash, but this type of trash is very dangerous and should be left. Notify TDOT immediately.
- Remember safety is the number one priority.
Check out this safety video for more info!
Better yet, sign up for a litter clean up event here and you can join your fellow Tennesseans on the front lines!
3. HELP US BUILD A MOVEMENT
It’s going to take a whole lot of Tennesseans to make a difference. Tell your friends, neighbors, and family how important this issue is and invite them to sign up as well. You can also post about it on social media (use #NobodyTrashesTennessee) so other folks can Join the Movement!